Note that the surname Maier is the phonetic spelling of the name Major. The two names, along with Meyer, may have been used interchangeably. This is particularly true for Germans from Russia with the surname Major who immigrated to the United States. In some cases, the immigrants’ surnames were spelled differently upon their arrival, and they never changed the spelling back to the original Major. If you are looking for Maier, Major or Meyer relatives, you should check all spellings of the surname.
- Anna Barbara (Maier) Reizenstein abt 1768 Rathammel, Volga Region, Russia
- Anna Margaretha Maier abt 1817 Grimm, Saratov, Russia
- Johann Maier abt 1788 Volga Region, Russia
- Johann Friedrich Maier abt 1815 Grimm, Saratov, Russia
- Katharina Elisabeth Maier abt 1816 Grimm, Saratov, Russia
- Sophia Dorotea (Maier) Zulauf abt 1770 Dobrinka, Volga Region, Russia